Even if you attempt to refuse Amazon, regardless of your business or your vertical, your products (and especially your competitors’ products) will end up on the marketplace, and you’ll be stuck playing catchup and having to police the work that others are doing without your oversight. Regardless of your feelings about Amazon, it’s better to be a friend than an enemy and exert control over your destiny.
The Amazon Flywheel
The Amazon Flywheel explains, in part, how growth works on the platform.
A great customer experience boosts traffic, leading sellers to broaden their selection. This creates a lower cost structure that helps keep Amazon’s prices so competitive and in turn feeds the platform’s dominance. It’s important to note that if you don’t care about your brand, Amazon won’t, either; the Amazon Basics line has successfully recreated many popular and successful products. Therefore it’s always best to capture the value your business can bring to Amazon and ensure that those dollars are going to the right place: you.
To truly “do Amazon,” you must consider:
- AMS (Amazon Marketing Services)
- Whether to be a 1st or 3rd party seller
- FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) or FBM (Fulfillment by Merchant)
- Ad types
- Organic product optimization
- Store front
- Brand protection
So what can your business do to keep ahead?
Solutions To Increase Visibility & Sales
- Sponsored Products: Use keyword targeting to be prominently featured in the search results
- Headline Search Ads: Again use keyword targeting to appear at the top of the page, above the search results themselves
- Product Display Ads: When you target by a product or interest, your product will appear on related product detail pages
- Amazon Stores: The most robust option is to build out your own Amazon store front, boosting your brand presence to foster awareness and loyalty
You have options outside of Amazon, as well.
- Keep a few products exclusive to your company website
- Take a strategic subset of your products onto Amazon without giving your whole catalogue away
- Allow customers to buy the product on Amazon but ensure they come to you for refills
It is no trivial task to police your products on Amazon and protect your brand name. There is a right way and a wrong way to sell on Amazon, and to secure success, you’ll need to be dedicated and sell smart.
Still on the fence about Amazon? Wpromote can help. Check out our white paper on whether or not Amazon is right for your business to get in-depth insights and actionable strategies.