Okay so I’ve been told time and time again by ‘non believers’ that SEO is dead and Social Media will take over soon, when in reality it is all converging in a way that SEOs can really take advantage of. My intentions with this article series is to provide our audience with some best practices for using socia media, specific to Facebook for part 3. It may not seem like SEO, but the ideology is behind all of the posting and commenting, etc.
Often when people see how much work is involved, they want to leave running their search and social campaigns to the professionals. That’s us here, so those not interested in getting into the trenches will hopefully come to the professionals at Wpromote for the proper help with their online marketing campaigns to see real results.
Here are some basic but useful tips about using Facebook to share information / content.
Posting Content on Facebook:
To ensure that your content is ‘evergreen‘ and continuing to garner inbound traffic/links, rather than posting a status update (which will be gone from anyone’s stream within half an hour if they have over 100 active connections on Facebook) the recommendation is to post the content (image) and then comment on that and ‘like’ it as well.
‘Liking’ it will put it into your stream for others to see along with your comment.
Now, you may want to comment with a link to a website or related piece of content you are promoting or something. The point here is that by now its pretty evident that most people will look at your pictures over reading your notes or status updates. The photos don’t get pushed down in your stream, rather they live in the photos section until you either delete them, or post so many photos that no one looks at them anymore.
Hot New Facebook Images Tip:
Are you annoyed with the new facebook images where you don’t seem to be able to download the images anymore? Well I am.
Here are some tips on how to save pictures from the ‘new’ Facebook:
This is how it looks now. If you want to revert to the old way…simply hit RELOAD now…and you will see the images as they were before.
Alternatively, you can also go to ‘page info’ in some browsers and on the media tab, find the files to download.
Screen Captures (how to do them):
- Yet another way is to simply do a screen capture.
- On a Mac: Use [Command + SHIFT + 4] and you can select the area to capture, which creates a file on your desktop by date, or use [Command + SHIFT + 3] to capture the entire screen to your desktop.
- On a PC you can use [ALT + Print Screen] to copy the screen to your paste buffer, then just use [CTRL-V] to paste the screen capture contents into Paint or Photoshop.
Use the following Formula:
More Facebook Strategies and Tips:
- Only Post 1-3 times per day ‘max’ or you will find that you end up being hidden by many of your contacts.
- People will often hide users that post frequently, there is no way to get ‘unhidden’ without deleting and re-adding your friends.
- If you notice that some people never respond, chances are they have hidden your stream. You can’t post on your wall to ask to be unhidden, because that would also be hidden. The goal is to NEVER get hidden to begin with.
- NEVER connect anything automated to your stream. Trust Me. Even your blog posts need to have an introductory comment alongside them or they will also appear ‘non-real’, ‘spammy’ and ‘automated’.
- Post at 8AM in your Markets
- REMEMBER to monitor comments 30 minutes after posting.
- There’s nothing worse than not noticing a conversation happening on your content until its over. Be alert!
- Immediately ‘Like’ your own content and comment on your post to get it into the stream
- WHY? this tricks the Google algorithm making the content appear faster and helping it go viral faster.
- Again: Upload photos & attach comments
- WHY: Status Updates only live on the wall and will be pushed down within minutes if users have a lot of connections.
- Very important, saying it again.
- Add and update photo albums often.
Facebook Pages – The Latest:
On February 10th, Facebook announced the newest way to edit pages.
Using iframes in Page Tabs:
What this means:
For Developers: New Flexibility using iframes, however be well aware of the changes coming soon regarding FBML apps and pages:
“On March 11, 2011, you will no longer be able to create new FBML apps and Pages will no longer be able to add the Static FBML app. While all existing apps on Pages using FBML or the Static FBML app will continue to work, we strongly recommend that these apps transition to iframes as soon as possible. Lastly, we want to be clear that our deprecation of FBML does not impact XFBML, such as the tags that support social plugins.”
For the rest who aren’t developers: This means much nicer looking facebook pages with tons of functionality. It won’t feel like you’re so ‘trapped’ in the Facebook website anymore when creating fan or like pages for people and businesses.
Know who you are marketing to.
Five Different Profiles:
- Cruisers/App Users – really like APP content
- Impression Managers – would NOT rather use any APPs
- Info-Only/Spectators – only on here because all of their friends are on here.
- Offline Networkers – just use it as a means to an end and want to sign petitions and join real groups.
- Update Junkies. – the people who click ‘notifications’ over and over and love to change profile pics and status updates frequently.
Studying these basic factors:
- Status updates/photos
- App content
- Profile Management
- Interest Groups
Its really good to note that:
- The stuff that some people love, is the stuff that other people loathe.
- It turns out that the people that want to meet new people also want to play games (e.g. FarmVille).
- *VERY IMPORTANT* If the CEO of a company you are trying to do SEO or Social Media for is one of these specific user types (e.g.an Impression Manager) they may try to have their website designed for their user type which is a terrible mistake.
- You MUST design the site for all the potential user types in your target market or you risk losing that user segment.
Please feel free to comment / share if you like this or follow me on twitter @SEORockstar, thanks for reading
’till next time…